Baked Spaghetti & Meatballs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 – 24-ounce jar marinara sauce
- 3 medium cloves of garlic, minced
- 18 cooked meatballs
- ¾ pound spaghetti
- 1 ½ to 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- Chopped fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook the spaghetti according to package directions in a large pot of boiling, salted water, but cut the cooking time by 2 minutes. Reserve ½ cup of the water in which the pasta was cooked.
- In a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat, sauté the onions and olive oil. Add in the garlic and continue sautéing until onions are tender.
- Add the marinara sauce. Cook for about 10 minutes, until the sauce has thickened.
- With a large slotted spoon, add the cooked spaghetti. Stir until the pasta is evenly coated in the marinara sauce. If the sauce is too thick, add up to ½ cup of the pasta water to the pan.
- Add the cooked meatballs and stir to coat in sauce.
- Top with the grated mozzarella and the Parmesan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the dish is hot and bubbly and the cheese is melted. Garnish with fresh basil.
- Use whichever kind of meatballs you want for this recipe: store-bought or homemade; turkey, chicken, beef, pork or vegetarian. It’s your choice!